Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. The Carbon Mapper public-private partnership includes Planet Labs, Inc., the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Carbon Mapper uses advanced imaging spectroscopy remote sensing on satellites and airborne assets to detect and analyze methane and carbon dioxide emissions around the world and provide information data products to inform decision makers as well as the general public. As part of its public education and research support activities, Carbon Mapper will provide a global open data portal, including a data trust and a website offering rapid visualization and interpretation for both expert and non-expert audiences. Carbon Mapper also supports advances in science algorithms, machine learning, and big data for remote sensing through multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source development, and geospatial analytics.
Carbon Mapper is seeking a motivated Research Analyst with a science or engineering background and a passion for climate change action. The Research Analyst will provide a broad range of data processing and analysis support to the Carbon Mapper science and engineering teams.
- Perform quality assurance / quality control (QA/QC) of intermediate and final data products
- Provide geospatial and tabular data analysis to support data journalism and data storytelling
- Processing remote sensing data using automated pipeline and manual processes
- Adhere to data management best practices using guidance from the science and
- Recommend and implement improvements for QA/QC and image processing workflows
- Clean and prepare data for machine learning training sets
- Perform quality control checks of public data portal products
- Work as an operator-on-call for rapid product turnaround during active airborne campaigns
- Present results to internal teams and incorporate feedback
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in physics, chemistry, mathematics, geography, computer
science, engineering, or related technical field
- Experience with GIS or geospatial related analysis concepts and software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including writing technical documentation
and conducting training for team members and collaborators
- Self-motivated and eager to take on a wide variety of tasks
- Experience working with remote sensing data with an understanding of geospatial software
(ArcGIS/QGIS, Google Earth, etc.)
- Experience working with tabular data analysis such as Excel, Google Sheets, Python, or
Salary: $65,000-$80,000 USD annually, depending on experience.
Hours: This is a full-time salaried position as a Carbon Mapper employee (40 hours per week). You
are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PT. The remaining time is
flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some after hours and weekend work may
be required to meet deadlines.
Location: Remote locations in the United States accepted. Carbon Mapper has a distributed team
with both in-person and remote workers. All employees will attend quarterly all-hands meetings at
the Carbon Mapper office in Pasadena, CA (1-2 days per quarter). Local employees may request an
assigned desk in the Carbon Mapper office if they prefer a hybrid remote and in-person work
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers comprehensive health/dental/vision benefits for employees and
dependents, 401K retirement benefits with employer contributions, and company paid life insurance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity,
disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please send your resume and a detailed cover letter which should reference your qualifications, experience, interest in the position, and interest in Carbon Mapper in general to firstname.lastname@example.org.