Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. The Carbon Mapper public-private partnership includes Planet Labs, Inc., the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Carbon Mapper uses advanced imaging spectroscopy remote sensing on satellites and airborne assets to detect and analyze methane and carbon dioxide emissions around the world and provide information data products to inform decision makers as well as the general public. As part of its public education and research support activities, Carbon Mapper will provide a global open data portal, including a data trust and a website offering rapid visualization and interpretation for both expert and non-expert audiences. Carbon Mapper also supports advances in science algorithms, machine learning, and big data for remote sensing through multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source development, Amazon Web Services, and geospatial analytics.
Carbon Mapper is looking for a data engineer to process hyperspectral imaging data and to develop and implement software improvements and automation capabilities to the processing pipeline. The data engineer will work with the Carbon Mapper science team to ensure the quality of intermediate and final data products, and will work with the Carbon Mapper senior software engineer to implement improvements to the data processing pipeline.
This position may include up to 4 weeks of domestic and international travel per year to support airborne campaigns. Candidate must have a valid passport.
- Processing remote sensing data using automated pipeline and manual processes
- Managing storage of raw data and archive data
- Work with the science team to perform quality assurance / quality control of intermediate and final products.
- During active airborne campaigns, work as operator-on-call for rapid product turnaround
- Support airborne campaigns on site as needed
- Automation work on methane processing pipeline of airborne and simulated satellite hyperspectral imaging data – including adding new features to the pipeline, implementing improvements, maintaining and upgrading software
- Recommend and implement improvements for image processing workflows including opportunities for machine learning and AI
- Develop and implement automated QA/QC workflows.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in physics, chemistry, mathematics, geography, computer science, engineering, or related technical field
- Experience in Python and bash scripts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including documentation and training
- Experience working with remote sensing data, ideally satellite imagery with an understanding of Geospatial software (GDAL, ArcGIS/QGIS, osgeo, etc.)
- Scientific programming skills (e.g., R, Python, MATLAB) and experience with high performance computers
- Experience with cloud computing and AWS (Lambda, S3, Sagemaker)
Salary Range; $65,000 – $80,000 USD depending on experience
Hours: This is a full time salaried position (40 hours per week). You are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PDT. The remaining time is flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some overtime, after hours and weekend work may be required.
Location: Carbon Mapper has a distributed team with both in-person and remote workers. Employees living within 50 miles of the Pasadena (CA) area are expected to be in the office at least 2 days per week. All employees will attend quarterly in-person meetings at Carbon Mapper headquarters.
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers health/dental benefits, retirement plans, life insurance, and dependent care assistance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications will be accepted through June 14, 2021.