Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. The Carbon Mapper public-private partnership includes Planet Labs, Inc., the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Carbon Mapper uses advanced imaging spectroscopy remote sensing on satellites and airborne assets to detect and analyze methane and carbon dioxide emissions around the world and provide information data products to inform decision makers as well as the general public. As part of its public education and research support activities, Carbon Mapper will provide a global open data portal, including a data trust and a website offering rapid visualization and interpretation for both expert and non-expert audiences. Carbon Mapper also supports advances in science algorithms, machine learning, and big data for remote sensing through multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source development, Amazon Web Services, and geospatial analytics.
Carbon Mapper is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to architect, develop, and implement the Carbon Mapper science data system. The Senior Software Engineer will develop the end to end data processing pipeline, from the ingestion of raw data to data processing to on-demand analytics and delivery of final information products on the user web portal. The role includes developing a thorough understanding of the data products, gathering and managing requirements, developing use cases, and coordinating integration efforts.
The Senior Software Engineer will help to build the Carbon Mapper science data system team, including hiring additional team members in the areas of software engineering, data science, machine learning, data visualization, UI/UX, and web development.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in software systems engineering for complex data processing systems and has broad experience in the areas of analytics, geospatial data, high performance computing, and cloud-based systems. Additionally, the candidate has a history of leading projects, and the ability to communicate well with customers, management, and diverse teams of scientists, engineers, and end users.
- Work with Carbon Mapper science team members to gain a thorough understanding of analytic algorithms and data products
- Lead systems engineering efforts to identify requirements from product/project management and customers
- Develop use cases and workflows to integrate new analytics into the Carbon Mapper data system
- Coordinate the design and planning of integration efforts, making sure that they are executed successfully and fully meet requirements
- Strong hands-on contributions to system implementation
- Regularly attend meetings to discuss projects, brainstorm ideas, and put forward solutions to issues
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in engineering, computer science, or related technical field
- 5+ years of hands-on experience as a systems engineer, software engineer, system architect, cloud engineer, or other similar experience
- Experience designing and providing systems engineering support for data processing systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of analytics based techniques and products
- Experience with geospatial data and systems
- Experience with high performance computing and scalable cloud-based systems
- Systems engineering experience defining and documenting system concepts of operations and documenting functional and performance requirements
- Strong ability to communicate concepts with customers, management, and the technical team
- 10+ years of hands-on experience as a systems engineer, software engineer, system architect, cloud engineer, or other similar experience
- Experience implementing data fusion solutions in cloud environments
- Experience working with remote sensing data, ideally satellite imagery with an understanding of geospatial software (GDAL, ArcGIS/QGIS, osgeo, etc.)
- Scientific programming skills (e.g., R, Python, MATLAB) and experience with high performance computers
Hours: This is a full time salaried position (40 hours per week). You are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PDT. The remaining time is flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some overtime, after hours and weekend work may be required.
Location: Carbon Mapper has a distributed team with both in-person and remote workers. Employees living within 50 miles of the Pasadena (CA) area are expected to be in the office at least 2 days per week. All employees will attend quarterly in-person meetings at Carbon Mapper headquarters.
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers health/dental benefits, retirement plans, life insurance, and dependent care assistance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .