Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. Carbon Mapper, the nonprofit, is responsible for incubating the larger $125 million Carbon Mapper public-private partnership program which includes Carbon Mapper Inc., Planet Labs, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and RMI.
Carbon Mapper seeks a Manager of Finance and Administration for the Carbon Mapper non-profit organization and accompanying public-private partnership and satellite program. The Manager of Finance and Administration will report to the Chief Operating Officer to provide financial management, grants and contract management, human resources, information technology (IT) and administrative infrastructure in support of the organization and its team members.
The ideal candidate is a proactive and independent self-starter who brings leadership to the job but is willing to roll up their sleeves when tasks need to be completed, enjoys a wide variety of challenges in a fast-paced environment, is attentive to detail, can manage multiple competing priorities with grace and dedication, and is passionate about enabling climate change action.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Financial Management, Analysis & Monitoring:
- Develop and maintain tools for financial analysis, monitoring and forecasting cash flow and program reserves. Keep CEO and COO apprised of existing or developing financial and/or cash flow issues.
- Manage the annual budgeting process with Executive Leadership Team
- Prepare financial statements and reports for the CEO, COO and Board of Directors
- Support development team with grant budgets and reporting, and other projects as needed.
Audit and Nonprofit Administration:
- Manage annual audit and 990 filing process. Coordinate and manage all audit activities. Remain current on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Submit nonprofit legal filings as required by city, state, and federal law.
Grants & Contracts Management:
- Assist the COO in the drafting, review, and management of contracts and grants.
- Prepare and reconcile grant & contract reporting including contract applications/renewals, invoicing, monitoring, and reporting.
- Oversee contract accounting and communicate contract status to the CEO and COO.
- Ensure accuracy of invoicing and reporting including reconciling to supporting documentation and ledgers and program spreadsheets.
- Review all grant documents upon award to identify unique grant requirements and compliance issues. Ensure systems and procedures are in place to track and achieve compliance.
- Develop, review and implement grant & contract budgets. Perform budget to actual analysis on grant & contracts. Prepare financial reports as specified by grant & contract agreements.
Accounting, Payroll, and Human Resources:
- Manage financial transactions in QuickBooks.
- Coordinate the execution of monthly closes with accountant and consult with accountant on any complex accounting issues.
- Prepare and process invoices and payments for approval and signature.
- Maintain staff debit cards, including coordinating with staff to facilitate receipt collection and ensuring proper account coding.
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of payroll.
- Manage and administer employee benefits plans including health insurance, retirement plans, life insurance.
- Administer human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Monitors and ensures the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
IT & Office Administration
- Serve as the administrator for shared electronic document repositories such as Google Workspace and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Manage group email, team calendars, and shared mailboxes in Microsoft Outlook / Exchange.
- Coordinate with the IT Managed Service Provider to manage IT systems.
- Ensure security and privacy of company and employee sensitive data.
- Serve as primary contact for insurance policies.
- Maintain and ensure compliance with contracts and leases.
- Identify and procure office equipment, supplies, and software, arrange for equipment repair, and ensure accurate tracking and management of assets.
- Coordinate ongoing office maintenance and manage relationships with landlord and office vendors.
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree and a sound understanding of accounting and finance in a non-profit or small business environment.
- Administrative experience with Google Workspace (formerly Google Suite for Business) and Microsoft Office 365 including Exchange and SharePoint, or the ability and willingness to learn these systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write clear and comprehensive office documentation and training instructions for team members.
Hours: This is a full-time salaried position (40 hours per week). You are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PT. The remaining time is flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some after hours and weekend work may be required to meet deadlines.
Location: Pasadena, CA (hybrid 2 days a week in office and remote)
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers health/dental/vision benefits for employees and dependents (PPO and HMO), retirement benefits, and life insurance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org