Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. The Carbon Mapper public-private partnership includes Planet Labs, Inc., the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Carbon Mapper uses advanced imaging spectroscopy remote sensing on satellites and airborne assets to detect and analyze methane and carbon dioxide emissions around the world and provide information data products to inform decision makers as well as the general public. As part of its public education and research support activities, Carbon Mapper will provide a global open data portal, including a data trust and a website offering rapid visualization and interpretation for both expert and non-expert audiences. Carbon Mapper also supports advances in science algorithms, machine learning, and big data for remote sensing through multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source development, and geospatial analytics.
Carbon Mapper is seeking a motivated Research Analyst with a science or engineering background and a passion for climate change action. The Research Analyst will provide a broad range of data processing and analysis support to the Carbon Mapper science and engineering teams.
- Provide quantitative support by sourcing datasets, pulling primary data, cleaning data, performing model calculations, processing data and performing statistical analysis
- Generate sample data products (eg time series, summary statistics, visuals)
- Develop graphics and tables for publications
- Maintain thorough documentation of analysis methods and results using established best practices
- Perform quality control checks of public data portal products
- Identify bugs in the public data portal and work with the data platform team to resolve bugs
- Provide testing and feedback of new public data portal features
- Cleaning and preparing data for machine learning training sets
- Present results to internal teams and incorporate feedback
- Bachelors degree in environmental science, physical science, mathematics, geoscience, engineering, computer science or similar
- Experience in statistical analysis and data visualization techniques
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and eager to take on a wide variety of tasks
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, and collaborative environment
- Deep interest, passion, and commitment to reducing climate change
- Experience with remote sensing data
- Experience in processing and manipulating imagery through software
- Experience in Geographic Information Systems (eg ArcGIS or QGIS) and geospatial data analysis
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Scientific programming skills (eg Python, R, and/or MATLAB)
Salary: $70,000-$90,000 USD annually, depending on experience.
Hours: This is a full-time salaried position as a Carbon Mapper employee (40 hours per week). You are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PT. The remaining time is flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some after hours and weekend work may be required to meet deadlines.
Location: Remote locations in the United States accepted. Carbon Mapper has a distributed team with both in-person and remote workers. All employees will attend quarterly all-hands meetings at the Carbon Mapper office in Pasadena, CA (1-2 days per quarter). Local employees may request an assigned desk in the Carbon Mapper office if they prefer a hybrid remote and in-person work schedule.
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers comprehensive health/dental/vision benefits for employees and dependents, 401K retirement benefits with employer contributions, and company paid life insurance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com