Carbon Mapper is a non-profit organization with a public-good mission to detect, pinpoint, quantify and track 80% of the world’s methane and carbon dioxide (CO2) point source emissions. Our mission is to aid in the acceleration of climate mitigation efforts globally at the scale of individual facilities. The Carbon Mapper public-private partnership includes Planet Labs, Inc., the California Air Resources Board, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
Carbon Mapper uses advanced imaging spectroscopy remote sensing on satellites and airborne assets to detect and analyze methane and carbon dioxide emissions around the world and provide information data products to inform decision makers as well as the general public. As part of its public education and research support activities, Carbon Mapper will provide a global open data portal, including a data trust and a website offering rapid visualization and interpretation for both expert and non-expert audiences. Carbon Mapper also supports advances in science algorithms, machine learning, and big data for remote sensing through multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source development, and geospatial analytics.
Carbon Mapper is seeking a Waste Sector Program Manager who will support Carbon Mapper’s development of CH4/CO2 applications and mitigation enterprise focusing on landfills, wastewater treatment and the solid waste industry. The Waste Sector Program Manager will lead the development of actionable data products tailored to solid waste industry operators and regulators.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Refining use cases and data needs through stakeholder interviews, data product characterization, and storyboarding to inform understanding of user needs
- Defining technical requirements based on stakeholder needs and programmatic/mission considerations.
- Design and prototype data products, analytics, visualizations tailored to the waste industry and regulators
- Provide inputs to the data platform engineering team on the operability, user interface, and user experience of the open data portal from the waste industry perspective
- Contribute to the Carbon Mapper Master GIS inventory / point source emissions inventory database
- Lead day-to-day waste sector stakeholder engagement to:
- Collaborate with the Director of Strategy and Partnerships to build key partnerships and develop capacity building programs
- Facilitate technical discussions with partners and collaborators to design capacity building activities, helping partners understand our data, how it can be applied, what it can be used for.
- Organize, conduct, and facilitate technical workshops
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, environmental science, physics, chemistry, or similar field with 8 years of experience; master’s degree with 5 years of experience, or PhD with 3 years of experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Expertise in solid waste methane emissions and root causes
- Strong knowledge of domestic US and international landfill management practices, including existing ground and remote sensing methods for methane emissions monitoring
- Familiarity with federal and state regulations pertaining to the solid waste industry, landfill emissions
- Experience working with facility operators to interpret and apply methane data
Hours: This is a full-time salaried position as a Carbon Mapper employee (40 hours per week). You are expected to be available Monday through Thursday 9 am – 3 pm PT. The remaining time is flexible based on your assigned projects and deadlines. Some after hours and weekend work may be required to meet deadlines.
Location: Remote locations in the United States accepted. Carbon Mapper has a distributed team with both in-person and remote workers. All employees will attend quarterly all-hands meetings at the Carbon Mapper office in Pasadena, CA (1-2 days per quarter). Local employees may request an assigned desk in the Carbon Mapper office if they prefer a hybrid remote and in-person work schedule.
Benefits: Carbon Mapper offers comprehensive health/dental/vision benefits for employees and dependents, 401K retirement benefits with employer contributions, and company paid life insurance.
Carbon Mapper is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application requirements: please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com